Monday, April 20, 2009

Bring on the Produce!

Avalon Acres Farm is starting their CSA soon! For those of you who don't know what CSA is, it stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It means that people in the community buy a share of produce from the farm (or collective of farms in this case) and get a weekly return of produce, meat, eggs and bread (all or some of these, depending on the type of share). We did it last year and loved it! It took some getting used to, since I had to learn how to cook some new (to me) types of produce and I think this year I'll freeze more so we aren't throwing food away. Hmmm. Just think! Homemade baby food from farm produce. That makes me happy.

Anyhoo. We didn't think we could afford it this year, what with the layoff and all, but they are giving us a little extra help since they know the Geek is unemployed! I thought that was so kind! I hope he finds a job soon so we can, in turn, offer them our support. Here's a link where you can sign up! Summer CSA.

As an aside, we are overwhelmed by the support our neighborhood, both local and virtual, has given us. I have yet to have to buy clothes for our baby what with the bags and bags of cute hand-me-downs, a sweet friend (from high school!) send us a large box from diapers.com filled with formula and baby veggies, two other friends bought the baby bear a box of formula, just out of the blue. A childhood friend, that I haven't seen in probably 17 years, sent us a check that helped us cover our mortgage. People we don't know, but are a part of our neighborhood google group, have dropped off formula...the list goes on and on. We are loved and provided for!! I am so very grateful.

(the images in this post were included in emails from Avalon Acres Farms last year. Gorgeous produce huh?)

1 comment:

Jaime said...

The CSA sounds very cool! I wish we had something like that here (or that I knew about it if we do...) ;-)

I'm so glad you guys are being blessed so richly! I pray that it continues and that hubby gets a job quickly! I think you guys ought to try looking in Longview... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...