Sunday, January 01, 2012

Word for the Year

I start out each year with the best of intentions. I’ve long since given up a list of resolutions because,
let’s face it, I stink at those. But this year I came across a new idea and for a harried mama
of little ones, it gave me pause and I thought, “I can do this!” I’ll let the author of the movement
spell it out for you in better language that I can.

“One word can change everything.
Forget New Year’s Resolutions. Scrap the long list of goals that you won’t remember three weeks
from now anyway. Choose just one word.
One word that sums up who you want to be or how you want to live or what you want to
achieve by the end of 2012.
One word that you can focus on every day, all year long.
It will take hard work, and will require intentionality and commitment. But if you let it, your word
will shape you and your year. It will guide your decisions and help you grow.
Discover the big impact one word can make.
One word.
365 days.”
A changed life.”

I’ve given much though to mine. I thought about Joy and Peace and Love and Hope, Gratitude and
all kinds of other words like that. But I think my word for the year is Acceptance. Accepting that I
won’t do this thing called motherhood perfectly or even well on some days. Accepting that I am
who I am right now, and it’s what I’m supposed to be, even if tomorrow it will change. Accepting
that my spouse can’t stand poopy diapers and I get stuck with most of them, and I love him anyway.
Accepting that baby number three is on his/her way even though it was not what we planned and I
will love every ounce of him/her, even if I don’t like being pregnant. And with acceptance, I’m
hoping that Joy will follow and all of those other words I pondered.
So I ask you this, what is your one word?
Happy New Year!

(for more details about the One Word idea, visit www.oneword365.com)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...