Sunday, July 26, 2009

Thoughts like a stash of treasure

My book club is reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck and I could think for hours about each and every chapter! The stories that he weaves are rich and not at all full of faerie tales with happy endings, yet they draw me on and on, with no chance for a breath or to sit and ponder wisdom that passes with every page.

There are books that I have read and am content to turn back in to the library. Then there are books that fill up my mind like they do Tom's mind in this particular book.
"Samuel rode lightly on top of a book and he balanced happily among the ideas the way a man rides white rapids in a canoe. But Tom got into a book, crawled and groveled between the covers, and came up with the book all over his face and hands."
That is me and I have this book all over my face and hands. The ideas are still sifting around in my head and this kind of book, get bought, read, and re-read. To take the ideas that lie thick on each page and store them up like a treasure to run through my hands when I am alone with my thoughts, this is the joy of reading.

Excuse me, I've got some pages to munch.

1 comment:

J. P. Morrison said...

I'm glad someone else is enjoying it as much as I am! If only I can get through the last 150 pages in the next week...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...