Thursday, March 04, 2010

Easter Sewing Sneak Peak


I don't know about you, but my making of things goes in seasons.  In the Winter, I want to curl up with a good book on CD and knit my heart out.  In the spring, it's garden dreams and sewing with still a little knitting and crocheting.  Summer, it is too hot to knit without running the air at full or sweating all over my projects, so it's sewing and cooking, tomatoes on the vine and toes in the grass.  Fall brings yarn back to me and I'm dreaming of sweaters again.

This Spring, in homage to my Grandmother - Kathy Terrell, I am making Cora's first Easter dress.  I don't think it even crossed my mind last year!  Ah well.  Every year, Gramma would go buy reams of cloth to make all of the children in my family (7) matching (yes, matching - think Von Trapps) Easter clothes.  At the time, I hated it.  I was a chubby little kid and the clothes never fit quite right and to cover my chubby arms, Gramma would sew me a jacket.  And by Easter, in Texas, it is HOT.  Who wants to wear a jacket and sweat your way through church?  But the idea behind it, and the work she put in was beautiful and sweet.  And now I start my tradition with Cora.  (Much to her chagrin, I'm sure, since she probably won't like the bonnet. Hats are fun to look at, not to wear.  Same with shoes.)

The pattern is a re-printed vintage 50's pattern with, yes, a matching bonnet.  How could I resist?  If there is enough time, I may just knit her a little sweater to go with it.  Oh, and that lovely avocado green linen table cloth beneath it all?  99cents at the thrift store.  Hurrah!

1 comment:

winterpeachblog said...

Good luck on the dress - fun memories from your grandmother :) Arlene

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...