Friday, February 15, 2008

Avoid this couch!! (not ours...ours is now industrial strength)


We bought our furniture about 2+ years ago and it all came with a lovely warranty that lasted about a year. Two weeks before that warranty ended, we heard an ominous 'sproiiiiing.' Wouldn't you know it, a spring, or really a springy metal band popped loose. We had the tech out to fix it and sighed a sigh of relief. We thought we'd gotten it taken care of before it was too late. HA! Those little springy bands have kept popping off! One here, two there, I flip the couch over, remove the dust lining and put them back, and then staple the dust lining back on.

Then Christmas came. Lots of people sat on that couch through out the holiday season and my papa occupied it for afternoon naps. I knelt on the couch one afternoon to look at something behind the Christmas tree and "SPROOIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNGGG!" Almost half of the springy bands popped off! Since Christmas we have avoided that couch. There are other chairs in the living room and I didn't want to think about it! But tonight, friends are coming over and there is not enough room for them all without that couch. So we flipped it over, removed the (now shredded...thank you, cat!) dust liner and surveyed the damage.

Things I noticed about a Rooms To Go Couch:
1. The entire thing is constructed of pressboard (plywood!)
2. There was not a single nail in the whole thing. Only Large Staples
3. Whoever put this thing together was going for odds. In other words, if I shoot enough staples in here, maybe some of them will come in contact with the two things I am attempting to connect. (This didn't happen often)
4. Springy Bands SUCK! They make this horrible noise unless they are coated in plastic this little plastic bit and guess what happens when they come unhooked? You got it! The plastic bit goes flying and becomes instant cat toy.
5. It is hard to fix something right when it hasn't been made right in the first place!!
6. All in all, RTG couch is crap. I hope it makes it a few more years and then will become a dog couch.

The Geek and I, after MUCH railing against RTG and the crappy construction of the couch, finally came up with a solution involving wood screws and washers...don't ask. But the odds of those bands popping loose again are pretty slim now, thanks to the DIH (Do it herself) musician!! The price was high though. I bruised my sternum leaning over the bottom of the couch while wrestling with springy bands, and a couple of times they got loose and cut my forearms. Not to mention whatever padding they had in there I must be allergic to because my arms were red and rash-y for a few hours.

Now if we can just keep the cat from hiding our socks and underwear in his secret cat nest inside the couch!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Yea. We got RTG stuff when we moved in and staples and pressboard are standard - the bed, the couch. Only thing I'm happy with is the entertainment center. I won't buy there again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...