Monday, February 25, 2008

I like my limbs


Perhaps this is why I have an inexplicable mortal terror of sharks. Even PICTURES of sharks make my heart rate increase! So when I saw this photo, I was not amused. I could easily fit inside that shark and he'd never notice! I tried (and the geek tried too) to convince myself that it was photoshopped; that this could not be real. And yet, the photographer swears it is and has others like it from a marine biology study he was conducting. Yipe! I don't think that I'll ever get over my feelings about sharks, but I am trying. I looked at lots of pictures today and even touched the screen where the teeth were. (I know...it's a screen! It can't hurt me. Fear isn't logical! And no, sweet husband who is now clutching his chest in horror that I touched the screen, it was neither of yours)

I'm trying to process this photo and see these animals as not the giant killing machines I am afraid they are. It helps to laugh, so when I found this on I can has cheezburger? I felt a little better.

It also reminds me that I see the world as black and white. Things are either good or bad. Evil or kind. I apply that label to people, organizations, animals, and more. Today I am recognizing that the childlike attitudes I bring into adulthood keep me in a judgmental and fearful place. That being said, I still don't think I'd volunteer to be kayak captain in this photo, but today I'll try opening myself up to the idea that people can be just people, with faults and flaws and accepting them is part of my growth as a human.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...