Tuesday, February 19, 2008

RSS?



If you are like me, you are totally baffled by the sheer amount of ways one can subscribe to a blog. I mean really! Every single website, including Yahoo, Google, and Live have their own version of it. But wait...! It not only slices and dices, it makes your eyes crossed!! I have been trying to sort this out in my spare time as each friend has a different feed service. 'Addthis', 'feedburner'. And HOW you get that info can be any one of (so far as I can tell, I have an inkling that there are more) three ways.
One, a reader.
Two, an email.
Three, on your homepage as a little widget (doo-dad).
After I had removed large clumps of hair from my head trying to sort this out, I boiled it down to this. Here is the semi-technical information and here is my version:
1. Someone somewhere writes something interesting that I'd like to read.
2. I go to their site and like what I read. I want to go there again, but hey, it's a crazy world, a crazy life. I need reminders!
3. I click on any number of random looking things that might remotely mention subscribing, but if this is there...well I know I'm on the right track. Those little icons let me choose where I want that cool little blurb on that groovy person's website to go.
4. There are 30+ ways to get that information to me including bloglines, yahoo, google, reddit, technorati, and many, many...many more. Even myspace and facebook let you have feeds on your page! I have found the easiest is to add them as a little doo-dad to my google home page when I log in to check my gmail. My neighbor has a reader and sends me fun things which I never check in my own reader because, lets face it, I have enough things to read in a day. I like to keep it simple.
5. Enter in the name of the website that I want to get my 'feed' from (if it's not automatically added from that site).
6. Click 'done'.
7. Read on my home page all the little snippets of fun that make my day a little brighter.

I know there are plenty of geeks out there rolling their eyes at my little explanation, but for the rest of us who are overwhelmed by the choices...give us a break!

1 comment:

J. P. Morrison said...

What? You mean you don't read all of the things I send you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...