Friday, October 09, 2009

Apple Crisp for sharing


Oh, the unparalleled enjoyment of sharing a meal with friends! We had friends over last night, all with babies about Cora's age in tow, to enjoy homemade pizza, salad, and dessert. The food was delicious, (we all contributed parts!) the conversation was easy and full of laughter, the babies had fun crawling all over, and visiting the dog crate again and again to loose the poor cooped up Freckles (the dog) who has 'pizza crust entitlement' issues, and scaring Gizmo (the cat) half to death with their advanced crawling and walking abilities. (He's used to Cora, who can't quite catch him!) It was quite easily the best dinner party I've ever attended!

We wrapped up with an apple crisp with vanilla ice-cream for dessert and then THEY WASHED MY DISHES! I Cannot tell you the glory of coming downstairs in the morning to a clean kitchen. I wanted to dance on the linoleum! And the Apple Crisp was so good, I had some for late breakfast! (see photo above) I'm quite sure it has less sugar and more fiber than your typical sugary cereal, so I didn't have even a pinch of guilt.

Now I have no idea where I found this recipe, but I must have had it before and liked it, since I scribbled it down onto an index card. I've tweaked it enough that I feel fairly safe in sharing it with you and not infringing on anyone's intellectual property. So here we go:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apple Crisp - for sharing

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

- 10 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples. (the peeling is optional and we used a hodge podge of mostly apples from our local CSA and some store-bought Cameo apples, and Golden Delicious)

(apple mixture)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbs all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a sprinkle and a half of cloves
- 1/2 cup of water

(topping)
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, melted

Instructions:
Place sliced apples in a 9x13 inch casserole pan. Mix together the 'apple mixture' excluding the water for now, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over the apples and apple mixture.

Combine the topping ingredients, (I recommend adding the brown sugar to the melted butter first and then stirring in the rest a bit at a time) and crumble evenly over top of the apples.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350F. Serve with vanilla ice-cream!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As usual, I'm taking the weekend off from blogging. See you Monday!

1 comment:

Andy, Kelly, and Myles said...

yum, i wish i could have eaten it again for breakfast! thanks for a fun, laid back dinner. we'll have to do it again, and next time we won't be so lame as to skip out on clean up...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...