Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas...in our own way

It was a wild day.  I am not even sure I survived it intact!  I was up until midnight on Christmas eve cooking and picking the first of two turkeys.  Then this evening after the Christmas mayhem died down a bit, I picked the second turkey.  All I could think about while up to my elbows in turkey carcass was shows like  CSI or 'Bones'.  How did this Turkey meet it's end?!  Words like 'viscera' keep floating through my head.  On the other hand, it's a great way to stay on a diet for the holidays!

I know I've been going on about the family across the street for some time, but through the generosity of both my MOMS club and our Church's neighborhood group, we were finally able to get them some wonderful tools to get them through the winter.  Both groups pitched in and bought them a kerosene heater while the fabulous mamas bought coats, blankets and fun things for the children and mama.  To top it off, we fed them a huge Christmas dinner here and sent the leftovers home with them!

The day was just beautiful.  Matt, Cora, and I celebrated Christmas morning and then I got down to the nitty gritty of putting a Christmas feast on the table!  Even with other mamas from the MOMS club dropping off wonderful dishes of tamales, cornbread stuffing, quiche, fruit, yams etc, it was still a heck of a job!  I never knew!  For all you wonderful relatives (Mama, Robin, Gramma, Mom) of mine that managed to do this every year, I owe you a huge thank you!  (Even posthumously!) You are truly amazing!

After the meal, the gifts, and pie, we all sang some Christmas songs together, while the youngest of the T- family entertained us royally with her rendition of a sort of lounge singer version of 'Feliz Navidad.'  Hilarious stuff!  We attempted a game of 'Clue', but my eyes were sliding shut, so we packed them all home with gifts in hand.  It was a good day.

3 comments:

JanaB said...

Hey Nana! Sounds like Christmas was fruitful! I love the snowman!

Christy Nicholson said...

I am so thankful for your kind and generous heart!

Jaime said...

How blessed they are to have a neighbor that really cares about them. Lots of people would just smile and wave and never reach out. You are being Jesus' hands and feet in a very tangible way. What a blessing that your MOMS club and church's neighborhood group joined in on the loving. Truly a celebration of CHRISTmas! Your story inspired me to truly reach out and notice others' needs.

You're the best, Ariana! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...