Saturday, September 06, 2008

Pie for breakfast

About 2 weeks ago, I had a craving for pumpkin pie. About a week ago, I made the crust and last night, finally, made the pie. Not the type of pumpkin pie that has condensed milk in it, nooooo. This pumpkin pie is made with cream, milk, eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and spice. And is INCREDIBLE. The Geek and I had pie for breakfast! Why not? We are grown-ups now and can HAVE pie for breakfast.

When I was born my parents lived in a commune and the day my mother went into labor, she was making a pumpkin pie (I was born just before Thanksgiving). Not one of those 8 piece pies either. In Athens, Greece in the 70's not everyone had an oven in their house. People would make stuff and then take it down to the bakery to be baked for them. So this pie was ENORMOUS! Perhaps 2 or 3 pies in one large dish. But her water broke and she went into labor as the pie was finished and the midwife wouldn't let her have any. BOOO! So the first thing she ate after giving birth was a piece of that pie. Consequently, the first thing I tasted, via breast milk of course, was pumpkin pie. It stuck with me. Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie. Ever. Hands down. You can't beat it. So with the rainy cool weather, my cravings naturally ran to pumpkin pie.

It was so good and cold and creamy this morning. I love it! Between the Geek and I, it might not make it through the day!

Well, I'm off to replace a fuel hose under the bug. The Geek has to jack up the car for me, since I can't do that and then I'll get down to business.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I think pumpkin pie for breakfast is perfectly acceptable!! I LOVE pumpkin pie, especially when it's baked in a homemade pie crust! Of course, I have to have Cool Whip on top or it's just not the same. :-)

You got me in the mood for pumpkin pie...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...